Here are some of the simple tips I have followed successfully to grow my business through networking:
- Look for like-minded people to network with. A good rule of thumb is if you are starting a business, go where other business people meet. If you are looking for a new job, go where other job seekers meet.
- Have a good supply of professional-looking business cards that reflect your brand or personality. If you need them designed contact us!
- Don’t worry about whether people want to talk to you. They do! They are there for the same reason you are.
- To break into groups or twosomes listen first to the topic they are on so you can do it smoothly. But don’t avoid these opportunities to meet interesting people out of fear of interrupting.
- Give your card out at the first opening and be sure to get theirs.
- Scan the cards as soon you get home and make note on each one where you met the person. (You will forget otherwise!)
- Follow up! Call or email within a week or two (better yet, a day or two). The sooner the better. Reference a snippet of conversation you remember if possible. Mention the event or occasion at which you met. Ask to meet or get on a call with them in order to learn more about them.
Let me know how this works for you and if you have other good tips for better networking!