You’ve invested in a website and yet never see much in the way of return on that investment. Maybe it’s because the website you have is falling behind in four key areas. When you consider there are over 1.8 billion websites out there it’s vital to stand out any way you can.
1. Mobile-It’s Major
You may be surprised to find out how many people view your website on the small screen of a smart phone. Have you looked at your site on your own smart phone lately? How does it look? Do you need to do a lot of scrolling or enlarging to read anything? If so, that’s a fix you need to make. Here are the steps:
- Make note of what’s hard to read or involves too much effort on your current site.
- Change to a newer theme that’s mobile-enabled.
- Check it again.
Also look at the images. Do you have to squint to see what they are? In the example here I found my logo and header that look great on my vast computer screen are so small on a mobile device that I needed to upgrade. I’m taking care of that in my new website — coming soon!
2. Load Time
Your website needs to load very quickly or you may be losing customers. I know I get impatient with slow loading sites and I’m sympathetic to the reasons it happens. It’s poorly optimized images that slow things down. Or too much unnecessary code behind the scenes. The fix is:
- First see how long it takes to open your website when you have cleared the cache (if you visit it often).
- If it takes more than 10 seconds then either remove some images or make them smaller in kilobyte size.
- Check it again.
- If that didn’t help it may be the code and for that you need a knowledge of HTML.
This topic involves several factors. There’s keywords that people are using to search for businesses like yours. If you don’t have enough of them you miss out. There’s backlinks to relevant content and the authority that can bring to your site. If you guest post occasionally you can add those links for instance. The call to action can be a way to optimize as well. It should be prominent in lots of places. To fix:
- Act like someone looking for you and see how the words you use rank then incorporate more of the better ones.
- Link with relevant websites that make sense for your business.
- Make sure to have a strong call to action like “Schedule an Appointment” or “Get on a Call“.
If your website is collecting dust in some corner of the world wide web it may be time to add content! It’s not as hard or time consuming as it sounds. Just looking around and making some of the above adjustments can help search engines notice you again. And that’s really what you want. It’s often called SEO but that term can be off-putting sometimes. I’m all in favor of people hiring us to get their Search Engine Optimization (I partner with various experts in that area) but if you have a limited budget then just update your content regularly. To fix this:
- Open a document and pick a topic that you know about that can also help your clients.
- Write and edit and check the facts and find images until it looks good enough to publish.
- Do this once a month or more.
These are four reasons why you are not getting traction from your valuable piece of the web In other words, why your website isn’t working! If it feels daunting to tackle these four suggestions on your own we are happy to help. Get a free analysis of your current website with just your url. It’s easy, personalized and may even be a game changer!